The Johnson Firm, P.C.
Start the conversation today. Call

Finding in-home care for veterans

If you or a loved one was once a veteran, you might be eligible for in-home care financial assistance in the form of Aid & Attendance benefits or Housebound benefits. These benefits provide extra payment for eligible veterans who require the assistance of another person in the home, or for those who are housebound because of a medical condition. The VA pays veterans who are eligible to receive a pension either Aid & Attendance or Housebound benefits, but not both.  Who is eligible for VA benefits? Veterans are eligible if they have served for at least 90 days of active duty, including at least a day during wartime. Veterans must also have received an honorable discharge to receive benefits. 

What is Aid & Attendance? (AA)

As discussed above, Aid & Attendance benefits are added to your monthly VA pension if you meet any of the following conditions:

  • You require assistance by another person to complete personal tasks required for everyday living such as feeding, bathing, visiting the toilet, dressing, covering your body from harsh weather and making use of prosthetic devices.
  • Your health condition or disability requires you to lie in bed at all times except when required to move for treatment or convalescence 
  • You were admitted into a nursing home because of physical and mental incapacity
  • You have eyesight that is limited to a corrected at least 5/200 visual acuity or lower in both of your eyes or your concentric contraction in the visual field is not more than 5 degrees.  

What are Housebound benefits? 

The VA makes Housebound benefit payments on top of the monthly pension if you or a loved one who was a veteran is permanently confined at home due to disability. Are you or a loved one eligible for benefits? Many veterans do not know that they are eligible for certain benefits. If you want to know if you or a loved one qualifies for any of the above benefits, it is advisable that you seek a lawyer who is knowledgeable in veteran affairs to help you navigate the complex qualification process for AA and Housebound benefits. The lawyer will help you verify your eligibility with your local VA office and file the application forms as required by regulations. Your application should be accompanied by copies of medical reports from a qualified physician showing the condition that has led to physical and mental impairment and how you get along in a typical day. You can use the free VA facility locator tool to find your nearest facility. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Let us Know How We Can Help

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Richard P. Johnson is Board certified Texas Board of Legal Specialization Estate Planning And Probate
  • Wealth Counsel
  • The College of the State Bar Of Texas Professionalism Through Education
  • Dallas Bar Association
  • Elder Counsel LLC Your Success Our Commitment Excellence in Elder Law and Special Needs
  • NAELA tm National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
  • Marcie Johnson
    was named in
    Best D 2016
  • Marcie Johnson
    named best in
    Best D 2018
  • Richard Johnson
Don't wait to protect what matters to your family. Call 972-587-7545.

The Johnson Firm, P.C.
2400 Lakeside Blvd.
Suite 120
Richardson, TX 75082

Phone: 972-587-7545
Fax: 972-925-9227
Map & Directions